Short course in spiritual care & counseling for the sick
February 12 – 14
April 16 – 18
June 18 – 20
March 8 – 10
June 7 – 9
October 18 – 20
Day 1 – 8:30 registration for 09:00 start; finish 16:00
Day 2 – 09:00 – 16:00
Day 3 – 09:00 – 13:00
Venue: HospiVision Offices in Pretoria and Cape Town
Facilitators: Dr. Andre de la Porte (pastoral therapist)
- Attendance R600
- Attendance and University of Pretoria certificate (R1150 i.e. R600 for course + R550 for additional assignments / and issuing of UP certificate)
For more information and registration form contact June Kriel: 012 329-9492 / 012 329-4420 / firstname.lastname@example.org
15 CPD points for SAAP/CPSC members and Dutch Reformed Church Pastors
Purpose – At the end of this programme learners will:
- Have a better understanding of the holistic effects of illness on the person and his/her relationships;
- Understand the impact of the modern healthcare environment and ways of functioning within this environment;
- Have mastered basic counseling skills to support the sick person and his/her family;
- Be able to offer compassionate spiritual care and guidance in a variety of situations.
Who may attend?
Professional and lay caregivers, pastors, and spiritual and community leaders involved in the ministry of caring for the sick with Grade 12. This course is also suitable for those who want to initiate such a ministry in their community.
Pastoral work in health care
- The goal of pastoral care for the sick.
- Illness: Towards a better understanding.
- The crisis and conflict of illness.
- Understanding the healthcare environment.
- Illness and healing in the African context.
Basic counseling skills
- Understanding human behavior in crisis situations.
- A conversational model for pastoral care of the sick.
- The use of Scripture and prayer.
- Discussion of practical work and conversation reports.
- Addressing emotional and spiritual needs.
- Special needs: e.g. cancer, heart disease, chronic illness, HIV/AIDS.
The course can be presented decentralized for groups of 10 or more. Travel and accommodation cost will be added depending on the circumstances.
All courses are presented in association with the Centre for Contextual Ministry at the University of Pretoria.